Thursday, October 19, 2006

My "Bulgarian" Training Plan


After some experimenting, I've decided to try doing two shorter workouts a day instead of doing longer workouts. I used to be able to do longer workouts (1.5-2 hrs) three to four times a week. As I've gotten into my late 30s-early 40s, I found that these workout levels became too draining. But just cutting down the total time didn't get me the results I was seeking. I needed a certain amount of time, but needed to start splitting it up.

So I've gone to a "Bulgarian" style training plan - do two shorter workouts a day, instead of one long workout. The Bulgarian Olympic Weightlfting Team popularized this method of training. At least that's what I've read, and it sounds cool to take about your "Bulgarian" plan. Kinda like it's cooler to say you're doing Romanian Deadlifts instead of Stiff-Legged Deadlifts (I know they're different, but you get the point!)

Workout #1 at approx. 9 am- Fast Walk to Stadium (15 min) Stadium Stair Work (20 min) Walk back (15 min.)

Workout #2 at approx. 5:30 pm - LCC&J w/24kg Comp. KB -5 reps R, then L, rest 1 minutes, 5 cycles (10 min) , 2 Handed Swings w/32kg Comp KB (head high) 4 sets of 15, 1 set of 20 (9 min.) , LCC&J with 32kg Comp KB - 6 reps R, rest 30 sec. 6 reps L, rest 30 sec. Dit cycle 3 more times, rest 2.5 min (10 min) , Snatch w/24kg Comp KB - 10 R, rest 30 sec., 10 L, rest 30, do cycle 2 more times (6 min) FINI! 35 minutes total time.

The Snatches and C&Js feel great with the Comp KB. The handle just seems to "wedge" into your hand. These KBs give you a great feel when locking out, the angles help you keep your wrist straight. Valery and the guys at the American Kettlebell Club have put out an excellent Comp KB. They even work great for two handed swings, even though the handle is a bit narrower than the Dragondoor handle. The corner of the Comp handle has a nice, smooth curve to it, and my two hands fit great while doing swings.

After the workout, had a great "Blue Collar" treat... A bottle of of beer from the Rogue River Brewing Company. It is a great malty brew called "Hazelnut Brown Nectar". Nice nutty flavor with a smooth malty finish. I'm not into hoppy beers like IPAs, so this was right up my alley! If the guys at the Rogue River Brewing Company want to sponsor a Kettlebeller, I'm their man.. email me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home