Monday, January 01, 2007

A New Year with some New Goals

2006 was a challenging year, with many hurdles, a few stumbles and a few tasks unfinished.

While I was able to complete filming of my upcoming DVD on kettlebell training for firefighters, the is still quite a bit of editing to go as well as raising money to have the DVD authored and duplicated.

While I did train a couple of pairs of recruits in proper lifting techniques, I still need to document and reference every bit of my intended program and then "road test" it, before trying to market it to other departments. I know the stuff works, just have to put it all together and track down all my disparate sources.

My training wasn't as consistent or as intense as it needs to be to reach a better overall level of fitness. I set some PRs, but not enough for my liking.

For the New Year my goals will be to get my DVD out, set some major PRs in my KB lifts, start training a few local fire departments and I'm really looking forward to getting back to the RKC certification course, where I've been invited back by Pavel to be an assistant instructor. I always learn a lot and meet a ton of great people every time I go.

-----------------------------------------

Yesterday, did I GS set of snatches with the 16kg.
Did 70 reps right and 70 left.
My forearms were starting to cramp up a bit, but I didn't want to really push it, so I'm going to set my (estimated) rep max at 80 reps. I've done 100 in a row in the past, but I've gotten away from the GS format stuff, but I want to build up my endurance a bit, so I'm going to use 16kg snatches as my first step [I walked up and down stadium stairs for 25 minutes this AM].

Snatches with 16 kg KB
60 reps R then L. rest
40 reps R then L. rest
33 reps R then L. done
20 Minutes total time- 366 reps.

Endurance was fine, but forearms need this type of endurance work. I'm going to mix in some sets with 24 and 32kg KBs, but I want to work up to doing 1000 reps in an hour. Then I'll do the 20kg KB, then the 24kg will be my mainstay KB for high reps.

2 Comments:

Blogger Franz Snideman said...

Congrat's on filming your KB DVD for firefighters. I realize how much work that takes as my wife and I came out with our own book and DVD's last year. A huge undertaking but very worthwhile.

Congrat's on being asked to assit at the RKC as well!

Best of luck and much success in 2007!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

a noble goal and I really like your approach to building up with the lighter bell first, then going up in weight.
A very mature approach of not letting your ego get in the way. good luck with your dvd goals.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home