Tuesday, March 20, 2007

2x24 with 2x24s



[ the photo above is me Cleaning and Jerking a pair of 32kg KBs during the Long Cycle competition at the 2004 Washington State KB Championships at CrossFit North. Should have done much more work with the 16s and 24s before doing the 32s, but now I know better, and am working on a plan to eventually triple the numbers I did at that meet.... ]

After a nasty sinus infection derailed my training for a few weeks, I wasn't any where near ready to test myself on the day of the CrossWorld Kettlebell Competition Meet (which I was going to do "unofficially" for my own benefit). I did a very high reps snatch workout on the 17th, doing 400 reps with a 14kg KB (20R/20L every two minutes) in 20 minutes. I think someday I will make a push for the 1000 rep snatch challenge with the 16kg kb. Finishing in under an hour will be my goal in completing it.

I am now planning on competing in the KB Nationals in Salt Lake City at the beginning of May. I plan on doing the Long Cycle only, with the 24s, but I may do it with the 32s also, depending on how my back feels.

I have been doing some 50-60 rep sets of the Long Cycle Clean and Jerk (LCCJ) with a pair of 16kg kbs, building up the strength-endurance of my low back and shoulders. The work with the 16s has helped my technique and my confidence in doing longer sets. My pace has been 10-12 reps a minute. In my training, I have also done some 10-15 rep sets with pairs of 24s and 32s, which have usually taken around a minute to complete.

So on the 19th I decided to do just a couple of sets of LCCJs with a pair of 24s. Decided to set a pace of 8 reps a minute, wanting to go at least 3 minutes, maybe 4. At the 3 minute mark I was feelimg very good with my pace, so I did 4 minutes, ending up with 24 reps. The great part was that I wasn't wiped out. After a 3 minute rest I did another 4 minute, 24 rep set. I felt good enough to do another set, BUT since I haven't been doing most of my work with the 24s, I decided to call it a day.

My plan is to build up my times with the 24s at the 8 reps/min. pace until I can do 8 minutes, then I'll drop the pace to seven a minute and go up to 10 minutes, then I'll work at a 9 rep a minute pace for 8 minutes, then build my way up to 10 full minutes. I will be in the middle of this plan by the time Nationals happens, but since there will be a World KB Competition in Miami in November, I should have enough time to build up to being able to do a full 10 minute set with a pair of 24kg kbs.... The journey begins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home