Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Two days of training; "Easy" PR


[picture above is me doing the Secret Service Snatch Test at the Las Vegas KB Convention two years ago. Did 170 reps without any specific training (mistake). Tore up my hands, and felt tired the next day. Recently did 190 reps, and while I was breathing hard at the end, I recovered quickly, trained hard the next day and my hands were fine. I'll give it a go this Summer for sure, and I'll shoot for 1 rep for every pound I weight (currently 230#). What a great insentive to lose weight! ;-) ]


3/26 Evening workout.
5 minute warm-up - 1 arm LCC&Js with 44# and 53# KBs

SWING (Hinge style - barely any leg bend)
4 sets of 25 reps, swung to forehead level.
This style really hits the glutes and hams.

SNATCH - 35# 20R+20L, 44# 20R+20L, 53# 16R+16L.
All sets 2 minutes. Rest 2 minutes between sets.
Getting used to locking out without completely rotating my shoulder out. My elbow and hands turn about 45 degrees instead of 90. This is really helping with reducing premature fautiging of my shoulder. Also woking on getting the handle to rest in just the right spot on my palm, and letting my wrist bend back slightly. This also is a great forearm saver.

JERK SQUATS - Have a pair of 70# KBs in the Racked position and do the first dip of the jerk (tempo wise). Do a dip (1/4 squat) every 6 seconds. 10 reps.

FARMERS SQUATS - Hold a pair of 70# KBs in the Farmers Walk position and dip like a jerk (quickly) every 5 seconds, for 1 minute. 12 reps, 2 sets.

I'm experimenting with doing some more assistance exercises to get me used to working with the heavier KBs (70# and 88#). While I plan on competing with the 53# KBs at Nationals in May, I do want to see if I can build enough strength-endurance to use the 70s at the World KB Championships in November in Miami...

-----------------------------------------

3/27 Early afternoon workout

Warm-up with 1 arm LCC&Js with a 26# and 35# KB, approx. 5 minutes

LCC&J with a pair of 35# KBs. Previous best, 60 reps in 6 minutes.

Did 81 reps in 8 minutes and felt like I could have gone the full ten at that pace. Little adjustments I've made with my grip, my shoulder alignment, how I lower the KBs from the racked position, and my pacing strategy has really paid off. Want to do a full ten minutes next week, then I plan on starting over again at 6 minutes with a pair of 44# KBs.... Lather, rinse, repeat...

Took a 5 minute break then did 5 sets of 10 reps with a pair of 53# KB in the LCC&J.
Each set took 1 minute, 2 minutes rest between sets.

Ended session with some "KB Cardio" in the form of 200 snatch reps with a 35# KB.
Switched hands every minute (about 20 reps), and finished in 9:50. Broke a great sweat and my back and grip felt good. I may go with 25 reps before switching next time, then I'll try to build up to doing 50 reps before switching and do 300 to 400 reps that way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Franz Snideman said...

190 reps ain't bad. nice job!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home