Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fun with a Heart Rate monitor...


[ The picture above is from a Russian KB website, and it shows how to do the Snatch "Old-School", in which you lower the KB down to your shoulder after you finish locking it out. This is now called the Half Snatch.]

Decided to do some KB training with a Heart Rate monitor on, basically doing some "sprint" sets. Went with Long Cycle Clean and Jerks with a pair of 35#/16kg KBs, and Snatches with a single 35#/16lg KB. Decided to go 5 minutes on each and see how high my HR would go, and what my average HR would be for the 5 minutes.

Did a quick 45 second warm-up with the HR monitor on, then go right into the LC set, and ended up doing around 58 reps. Averaged 167 Beats per Minute, which is around 95% of my predicted HR Max at 42 years old. Without the 45 second warm-up, it may have been around 170+ BPM.

Took a five minute break and then did a set of snatches with a 35# KB, going as fast as I could with good from. I went 30 R in minutes 1 and 3, 30 L in minutes 2 and 4, and finished the last minute with 15R and 15L. Average HR was 173 BPM, and by the end of minute 5, my HR was 183, which is 103% Max HR. Within 2 minutes my HR was down to 122 BPM, which is an indicator of good heart conditioning ( a drop of over 60 BPM at the 2 minutemark following exercise.).

Finished off my workout with some "Tempo Presses" done Tabata-style (20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, repeated 8 times). The first 4 sets I did with the 53#/24kg KB - 15 R, rest, 15 L, 14R, rest, 14 L, rest. Then did sets of 15 with the 35#/16kg KB on the last 4 sets, doing 15 reps on each set.

4 Comments:

Blogger Franz Snideman said...

Great picture of the half snatch. I've tried the exercise that way and it feels great.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Great work Tom!
Exellent recovery rate
Wander what your rate was after 10 min LS?
Chuck

3:55 PM  
Blogger Franz Snideman said...

updates???

7:56 AM  
Blogger firemanben said...

Tom, Great to see what you are up to. I am a fellow firefighter Crew Commander (equivalent of Lt)in the UK. I am also a Crossfitter with Crossfitnortheastengland I was interested to read that you have been putting together something to introduce KB training to your department.
I was wondering whether it would be possible to correspond with you and see exactly what you are putting together as I too am trying to implement a Crossfit style programme in my department but will have to present to our Occupational Health Section, department Chiefs etc
I'm sure your motivations are the same as mine, to enable firefighters to perform the job more effectively, safely and provide a better service to our communities we protect. I'm sure you are also encountering difficulties over there but feel free to email me firemanben@blueyonder.co.uk I'd love for you to get in touch.

Ben

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home